This therapy involves the application of Ultrasound waves above that of the range of human hearing in order to treat various types of injuries. The application of Ultrasound Therapy helps in increasing the blood flow of a localized area in order to reduce the swelling and inflammation in that area. It is also used to enhance the healing of a bone fracture.
It is generally categorized into 2 types:
1. Thermal Ultrasound Therapy
- This therapy involves continuous transfer of sound waves resulting in small vibrations in the deep tissue molecules. These vibrations increases heat and friction in the molecules. This heating effect results in the increases of metabolism of the tissue cells resulting in the healing of the soft tissues.
- It is generally used in case of a Myofascial pain, or a muscle strain or sprain.
2. Mechanical Ultrasound therapy
- This therapy uses single vibration of sound waves to penetrate tissue. It actually causes the expansion and contraction in the tiny gas bubbles of the soft tissues which then helps to reduce the inflammation, reducing tissue swelling and thus decreasing pain in the tissue.
- It is generally used if you have a Scar Tissue or Swelling such as with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.