Paediatric physiotherapists have expert skills in the assessment, identification and diagnosis of, and treatment of child development and movement difficulties. Pediatric physiotherapists have highly developed hands on skills, which we use with a big dash of fun, creativity and playfulness, to develop individualized therapy programs for each of our clients. The treatment programs are aimed to optimize the health, well-being, and abilities of each child to enable them to move and participate in everyday activities, like playing, learning, going to school, and being part of a family and community. Children with developmental problems may have difficulty at reaching his/her developmental milestones by a time or age that is expected. Developmental milestones are tasks most children learn or develop that commonly appear in certain age ranges. For example, head control, rolling, crawling, walking and talking. Physiotherapy treatment for children with neurological or developmental problems will help to maximize their potential and promote physical development to reach specific milestones (e.g. rolling, crawling and walking).
The types of movement disorders or movement difficulties Pediatric physiotherapists can help with vary greatly, but can include:
· Babies and children who are slower to achieve their motor milestones, e.g.: babies who are late to learn to sit, crawl or walk
· Babies and children who are using unusual patterns to move eg: w-sitting or bottom shuffling or toe walking
· Children who are having difficulty with motor skills, such as jumping/hopping or ball skills
· Toddlers and babies who are clumsy or uncoordinated
· Children following an injury or trauma who require rehabilitation to get back to their best