Kinesiology taping (KT) is a therapeutic tool and has become increasingly popular within the sporting arena. Taping has been used for a long time for the prevention and treatment of sporting injuries. The original elastic adhesive tape was developed by Dr. Kenzo Kase in 1979.The Kinesio Taping Method is designed to facilitate the body’s natural healing process while allowing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body’s range of motion. It is used to successfully treat a variety of orthopedic, neuromuscular, neurological and medical conditions.
Application of Tape
• Ensure to assess the patient thoroughly in order to identify the most appropriate application.
• Do NOT apply tape to any area of skin that is damaged by: scrapes; cuts; burns; sunburn or any type of skin rash/irritation.
• Skin should be free of oils and lotion prior to application.
• If body hair is limiting adhesion you may need to trim or shave the area.
• If patient has been exercising, ensure perspiration has completely stopped before application.
• If you are using a roll of tape, measure and cut carefully.
• Avoid contact with water at least for an hour after applying the Kinesio taping.
Specific Uses of Kinesio Taping
Facilitation: Kinesiology tape can be used to help improve muscular firing and contraction patterns. This can lead to normalized muscular tone and can also help improve the overall performance.
Inhibition and pain management: Kinesiology tape can be used to reduce pain and muscle spasm that may occur after injury. It can be very helpful in decreasing the swelling.
Support and stability: If you have a condition that requires a specific joint to be held in place, kinesiology taping is one of the best options. The tape can support your joint while not restricting the motion.
Swelling management: The swelling caused by some injury or surgery can be minimized by kinesio taping, kinesiology tape may help to decrease the swelling by decreasing pressure between the skin and underlying tissues.
For Kinesio Taping and Sports physiotherapy, Consult Our Experts or book Physiotherapy at home @ CB Physiotherapy At Home www.cbphysiotherapy.in